Friday, November 17, 2006

Goodbye, Bo.

The ultimate Michigan Man, Bo Schembechler, has left the building. I took for granted that Bo would be around forever. That is a mistake that I make too often. Each time it happens, I vow to do something about it but I keep ending up back at the same place. Bo was steering the Michigan football program when I was first introduced to it. He has been "The Godfather" of the Michigan coaching staff since 1969. The program may not have returned to greatness if it wasn't for his influence. His affect on Michigan football was everything Hayes was to Ohio State. Hayes has had the benefit of having legendary status over Bo but that is simply due to his untimely death in 1987. Had Schembechler died 20 years ago, he too would have been immortalized. It shouldn't take someone to die before they are remembered the way they should be. That is a vice of mine that I find rather embarassing. Goodbye, Bo and thanks for introducing me to Michigan football. Go Blue!

No comments:

 

Powered by Blogger